What is an essential oil?
Essential oils come from the seeds, bark, leaves, stem, flowers, roots or other parts of a plant. These parts are processed to create pure and highly concentrated oil. The oil is an aromatic volatile compound, meaning that it changes from a liquid to a gas form very quickly and is perfect for aromatherapy. These oils are can be used to improve both the physical and mental states of a person.
What makes the dōTERRA a High End Product?
The quality and potency of the essential oil depends on many factors like; the time of day the plant is harvested, the geographical location where the plant is growing, the method and duration of distillation, the weather and the year the plant is grown. DōTERRA ensures that it gets its plant sources from the geographical location that plant originates from and uses locals to harvest the plants at just the right time to ensure the highest quality of the product.
Once the items are harvested dōTERRA uses a specific distillation process. The quality of the oil can be impacted during the processing phase by using too much or too little heat and/or the amount of pressure. DōTERRA uses the ideal low grade steam pressure to pull the oils out of the plant.
DōTERRA also does third party testing, meaning they use various laboratories to test for purity and quality from the harvest, during the distillation/processing to the final product so that it produces Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade quality oils. There is currently no regulation of essential oils in Canada, meaning you can buy oil at the grocery store. It will pass for safety as long as it comes from the plant it says it comes from but may not be coming from the right part of the plant to be therapeutic and may not be tested for pesticides and other harmful chemicals. DōTERRA has chosen to invest the time and money to ensure the quality of their products.
How do you use essential oils?
There are 4 main ways you can use essential oils.
- Aromatically: you can circulate the aroma through the air using a diffuser, or spray bottle or even a couple drops into your hands and breathing in the aroma.
- Topically: you can apply the essential oil to specific areas of concern, to the feet, back of neck or spine as well. Usually the essential oil needs to be used with a carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil, oil olive, etc) to reduce skin sensitivity. Each oil will have specific instructions
- Internally: some oils can be used internally, meaning you can use it with cooking, in capsules or placing a drop in your mouth. Each oil will have specific instructions.
- Environmentally: A lot of essential oils have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal cleansing properties, meaning you can use them as cleaning products. You can make your own moisturizing cream with essential oils
Who are essential oils for?
- Those interested in natural remedies: to supplement not replace medical treatments
- Individuals who want to promoting a healthy lifestyle for themselves
- Individuals that enjoys the pleasant aroma throughout the house
- Individuals that want to use natural cleaning solutions at home
- Individuals that want to promote relaxation and good sleep naturally
- Individuals whom can’t take pain medications and are looking for natural solutions
- Anyone that is interested to learn more